[GNC] Cashflow-like report to show realized and unrealiz

csingley csingley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:39:00 EST 2019

David wrote
> IANAA, but as I understand it, gnucash doesn't track unrealized gains well
> mostly because traditional accounting isn't focused on unrealized gains.
> I'm told that accountants want to be certain that the *amount* of what you
> have is accurate. The value of that is less interesting.

GAAP care very intensely about valuing assets and unrealized gains.  For
financial assets, with very limited exceptions, mark to market is the law of
the land.  No CPA will attest financial statements that don't fair-value
financial assets.

David wrote
> Honestly, the deeper you dig in that hole, the crazier it seems to get.
> Value as determined by whom? At what time? In what jurisdiction? In which
> currency? At what exchange rate? All of these will affect a valuation that
> ultimately is a fantasy. Just ask any art collector...

Awwww yeah, get you some  FAS 157 <https://www.fasb.org/pdf/aop_FAS157.pdf>
boyee!!

FASB in fact prescribes a fair-value hierarchy classifying the degree of
sketchiness of your valuations.

You want crazy?  How about those investment banks booking unrealized gains
during the 2008 financial crisis because their outstanding bonds were
plummeting in price... solid Level 1 valuations!! ... and FAS 157 let them
elect to fair-value their *liabilities*, not just their assets.

The rabbit hole can indeed get pretty deep down there at Level 3, but OP is
asking about plain vanilla Level 1 assets (currency & marketable
securities).

David wrote
> None of it is real until someone pays for it-- and then you have a
> transaction to record it.

You are describing the perspective of cash-basis accounting, which is what
we use GnuCash for ... it's useful for things like budgeting & taxes.

GAAP is accrual accounting, and a foundational principle is that the
earnings process is divorced from cash flows.  Noncash transactions tend to
occupy a big chunk of the ledger.  If you want your balance sheet to present
assets at fair value rather than historical cost, you need unrealized gains
to make your income statement tie out to the balance sheet as it rolls
forward.

What this looks like is that, on your chart of accounts, a financial asset
has subaccounts for cost basis and unrealized gain/loss.  There's an
unrealized gain/loss account under income, too, along with a realized
gain/loss account.  When you fair-value an asset, the transaction is split
between the asset subaccount and the income subaccount.  When you close out
a financial asset, you Dr/Cr the unrealized gain/loss account on the income
statement against the realized gain/loss account.  This is in the addition
to splits wiping out the asset subaccounts against
cash/equivalents/receivables.

What OP is running into is a design limitation of GnuCash - it only handles
a single accounting basis, and it is geared toward cash basis, so it's good
for analysis of those types of problem (cash flow, realized gains, etc.)

A long time ago I tried setting up GAAP chart of accounts for securities in
GnuCash, and it was super annoying to work with b/c the lack of automation.

In actual accounting practice, people who need GAAP financial statements
(e.g. anybody who's accounting for investments) set up a chart of accounts
geared toward GAAP, and keep the ledger on that basis.  Then they push a
series of adjusting transactions to transform to tax basis, and another
series of adjusting transactions to transform to statement of cash flows.

Financial software packages tend to implement this functionality in reports
by flagging certain categories of income-statement accounts as with "ignore
this for taxable income".  It gets more complicated for cash flow.

I'm not an accountant, either, but I do have to deal with this stuff, and
no, GnuCash doesn't implement the needed functionality.  It's a fairly
glaring omission if you care about investments, but the amount of work
needed to relax this constraint would be pretty significant, and I don't
think most people care enough to make it happen.  I mean, hell, I've written
my own library to calculate capital gains, and I haven't yet cared enough to
make that happen, either.  You get in hot water with the tax authorities if
your cash-basis accounting isn't just right, but unless you have financial
reporting obligations, the same is not true of GAAP accounting.... so we all
tend to concentrate development effort on cash basis, and end up using
brokerage statements and spreadsheets or scripts for tracking personal
investments.