[GNC] GNU generated report in HTML to XL

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Jan 3 16:13:18 EST 2019

I just tested the following using LibreOffice 6.1.0.3 and GnuCash 3.4:

1. ctrl+a (select-all) and ctrl+c (copy) from the report within the GnuCash report tab (not a saved file), then ctrl+v (paste) on a blank Calc spreadsheet.

I was given a dialog to choose import coding, select my delimiters, and otherwise fine-tune the import (paste) with a preview of my actual data.

The result is the data was imported without formatting into their respective cells, except that ’Totals’ somehow had a newline character before the figures which would necessitate some additional copy/paste to align them correctly.

2. Save the report to an .html file, open that file with Firefox and then repeat the above select/copy/paste commands.

This gave me a less useful dialog box with little control over the end result. I was able to only select the import language and asked if I wanted to detect ’special numbers’ like dates.

I ended up with a formatted version of the report as it appeared in Firefox but with each respective title or figure in a proper cell

3. File > Open the .html file from within Calc as suggested by Chris Lam.

Without a dialog box, this resulted in a similar situation to #2, but with no grid lines within the report. (like a sheet of paper overlaying the grid)

4. Sheets > Insert Sheet from File (or Insert Sheet and then choose ‘From File’ radio button)

I chose to ‘insert’ the .html file. This gave me the same dialog box as #2, but the result was the same as #3. I could choose to insert before or after the current sheet.

Note, options 1-2 place the data on the current Calc notebook sheet.

Option 3 opens an entirely new workbook with only 1 sheet as your report. (unless you’ve set default # of sheets higher)

Option 4 is *adding* a sheet to the notebook, so you can only place it before or after the current one.

In every case, the data came through just fine, though I’d probably find 3 or 4 most useful as everything is already lined up. If you wanted no empty columns between your account titles and the values, 1 or 2 would work best, but as noted, you’ll have to do some adjusting if you included parent account total lines.

Though I used the keyboard shortcuts, Edit > Paste was always available. Perhaps there is an issue with the workbook or the sheet itself that is disabling it? Try a websearch on ‘Edit > Paste not available, just Paste Only’ for LibreOffice.

A cursory search turns up possibilities of a protected sheet, a read-only workbook, and a long-standing bug on the Windows platform that doesn’t seem to be easily reproducible. However, for those first two possibilities, I would think none of the paste functions would be available.

I also see a suggestion that 3rd party clipboard managers sometimes don’t play nice with LO.

Regards,
Adrien