[GNC] Tutorial for moving stock between accounts?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 04:13:08 EST 2019

On 4/1/19 12:00 am, Jon Leech wrote:

    I don't know how typical my use case is, but that seems like an
unwise thing to do, in general. I wouldn't want to realize capital gains
or losses solely as a side effect of moving shares from one broker to
another!

    All brokers I have accounts with have a process for directly
transferring shares, usually just filling out a web form identifying the
other broker and the specific shares / lots to transfer.

This seems reasonable.

A major issue is not really the limitations of recording the transfer of
shares as you wish, but whether the engine supports it and whether reports
can handle such transactions.

Please be aware, and be ready to file any bugs!

(Hint: set up a shadow datafile with simple bogus data that can illustrate
your intentions, and can be shared on bugzilla)