[GNC] Stocks/Equities queries (Australian Based)

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 6 15:16:20 EST 2019

Hi,

The brokerage charges usually come on top of the share price as a service fee charged to your brokerage account. I would
use the gross pricing method as the expenses will be deductible as brokerage fees and you would use the share price and
number to calculate the capital gains nott the nett price. GnuCash's
The transaction to record this is:

Asset:Bank                                    Cr 2935.35
Asset:Shares   500@$5.01             Db $2880.75
Expenses:Shares:Brokerage   Db 54.60

Unless you are registered or required to be registered for GST then you can ignore the GST. If you are close to the
turnover threshold for GST registration with your share trading (or combined turnover if you operate other enterprises
as the same entity), it would probably pay to start to track GST so you know when you go over the threshold.
https://www.ato.gov.au/general/capital-gains-tax/shares,-units-and-similar-investments/shareholding-as-investor-or-share-trading-as-business-/
,
https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/In-detail/GST-issues-registers/Financial-services---questions-and-answers/?anchor=a4_6
. You can also register under the threshold and claim GST credits, but it is optional then.

The brokerage fees etc  will of course be deductible against any income which is the main reason for recording them. You
also have the correct value for CGT calculations in Australia which is not the nett price.

Please CC gnucash-user at gnucash.org in all replies to ensure the full conversation appears on the list

David