[GNC] Present Reconcile Is Showing Previous Reconciled Items UnReconciled

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 9 23:11:21 EST 2019

Normally the only way a reconciled transaction becomes unreconciled is if the
split to the account which has been reconciled is editied, either in the
register for the reconciled account or in another register conatining the
split from the reconciled account to that registers. The splits of a
transaction can be edited from any register for any account which contains
splits to it from the transaction. In V3.4 editing details (description,
memo) other than the amount, date and account does not affect the
reconciliation flag status.  You will normally get a dialogue indicating
that you are editing a reconciled split.

 I think earlier versions of GnuCash may have also changed the status when
other splits and any information in a reconciled transaction were edited
were edited but I am unsure of this and when only editing specific fields in
the reconciled split triggered changing of the status was introduced.

The easiest way to fix this is to rerun the reconciliation process for
periods covering the earliest unreconciled transaction forward, checking
that opening balances, closing balances and transaction amounts agree with
the statements. GnuCash will often start the reconciliation window with some
transactions marked even if that period has not been previously reconciled
as it attempts to identify transactions which lead to a reconciliation. I
have been caught believing this in the past and I now clear (uncheck) all
transactions in the reconciliation window and match them individually by
hand. Tedious but it can pick up 2 errors cancelling each other out so that
the opening and closing balances are OK but the transactions are incorrect.

Any unreconciled transaction should show up in the reconciliation procedure
window as unchecked with any already reconciled splits being initially
checked which can help identify the unreconciled transactions

David Cousens.

-----
David Cousens