[GNC] editing reconciled transactions changes reconcile status

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 10 06:13:57 EST 2019

Op dinsdag 8 januari 2019 07:23:47 CET schreef Liz:
> I was going to say "irrelevant, I have all warnings set"
> but on checking I find that "change contents of reconciled split" was
> unset.
>
> However, there is no sane reason for changing the Payee or description
> of a reconciled split and unreconciling the transaction.
> Yes, it is an Asset account.

Let's take a step back.

The idea behind the current reconcile behavior is that you check off the data
you have in GnuCash against what's on the statement you receive from your
bank. It follows that only data that's actually on your statement can be
verified and hence only that data should be "protected" once a transaction is
reconciled.

This has been discussed a couple of months back and back then it was decided
the following information is typically found on a statement to be protected:
1. Transaction date
2. Transaction number
3. Transaction description
4. Transaction amount (which translates in the split amount for the split in
the account for which the statement is created).

So these fields can be verified and are hence protected by reconciliation.

I'll note past discussions on this topic seem to go in all directions. Some
people believe more fields should be protected others believe some fields
should not be.

The above is the current state. I'm open to further discussion on this with a
broader audience to get to something that's more generally accepted.

Regards,

Geert