[GNC] editing reconciled transactions changes reconcile status

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Jan 10 21:36:15 EST 2019

Geert,

My opinion is much the same as Adriens' . The critical information you are
verifying against a statement is:

the timing (date and/or time) and
amount of the split to the account being reconciled.

Where data has been manually eneterd into GnuCash, the date may not be the
same necessarily as a statement as they will record the date and/or time
relevant to the handling of the transaction in their hands which may be
different from your own -  can be importnat for contracts for example.

I also feel that changing the amount in splits other than the split to the
reconciled account should not trigger unreconciliation of a reconciled split
( which is the crrent position).

Any other information, while it may assist with identifying reconciliation
(e.g description memo etc), it is not the information which is being
reconciled itself.

In addition the critical information that defines that transaction's
identity, i.e. internal GnuCash transaction ID needs to be protected.

My bank doesn't provide in a statement their transaction ID's, or
transaction time and any description provided is from their perspective not
mine. My statement is pretty minimal:

Date   Descriotion                    Debit   Credit               Balance
Balance State (Db/Cr)

It is interesting that the OFX files I import from my bank often contain
much more information than the statements. They however are created on
demand whereas my statement often comes out a few weeks weeks after the end
of the relevant period and does not contain any pending events etc and any
clearances have been resolved. With electronic clrearance times now being
very short, these sort of discrepancies in accounts are now generally fairly
infrequent now

While accounts with bank statements (asset, liabilities) will be the most
commonly reconciled accounts, they are not necessarily the only ones. In the
days when I ran a business, I could request and received statements form
vendors and supplied them to customers to verify that we agreed on what was
owed to them or by them. If you track income or expense by customer or
vendor then you may also find yourself reconciling these, especially if
there is a dispute.

David Couens

-----
David Cousens