[GNC] Deb 3.4.0.1 not working for me in ubuntu 18.04

DaveW wasserland44 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:07:47 EST 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 07:31:54 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 06:37, DaveW <wasserland44 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >                 1. The commands work equally for 18.04 and 18.10?
> >

> Yes, I believe so, they may not all be necessary on 18.04 but they
> won't do any harm.
>

> >                 2. I currently have Gnucash 3.2 loaded and
> > working.  It is a dl.flathub.org version.  Is that an issue?  Do I
> >                 remove it first or does the apt remove take care of
> >                 that?
> >

> As said in the instructions, remove the old one first and run
> sudo apt autoremove
> How to remove the flatpak version I am not sure.
>

> >                 3. At the end of the above command process, will the
> >                 3.4-0-1 launch or do I have to do something?
> >

> It should just go.  The first time, run it from the command line in a
> terminal
> gnucash
> then you will see if there are any errors. It should also be
> accessible via the normal GUI methods.
>
> Colin

Thank you Colin and Stephen,

3.4 is up and running following your instructions and comments.  I am
very happy :-).

FYI:-

These following comments are for feedback only.  And my intrigue of
course.

	I uninstalled the flatpak version via the Software Centre
	(Ubuntu 18.04) quite easily.

	Strangely, the Software Centre shows that I have 1:2.6.19-1
	installed.

	Synaptic shows: "Installed Version = 3.4-0-1 | Latest Version
	1:2.6.19-1"  There is an ! mark in the checkbox and it is
	greyed out.

	The Software Updater offers an available update for Gnucash to
	1:2.6.19-1 but the checkbox is blanked.  Obviously your "Hold"
	command at work.

Much of the discussion in the other emails under this thread-line is
beyond my level of understanding. But, perhaps destined to resolve and
normalise future presentation and updating process?

Dave W