[GNC] editing reconciled transactions changes reconcile status

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jan 11 14:12:04 EST 2019

I would say date is one of those ‘depends’ cases. Changing it to another date within the same period won’t alter the reconciled balance, but changing it to a date outside of the reconciled period of course would. Trying to determine the date range a reconciliation was done for is asking too much most likely. So for simplicity, I’d leave it as is and let it unset the flag. With a warning, the user can decide on the spot to proceed and then re-reconcile right away to keep things tidy if this is an in-period date change.

I know more options means more code and more mental ‘cost’ but should perhaps this list be a set of options? If the user sets the options for their needs, they get a warning and the flag unsets. Otherwise, the default could sanely be to only unset the flag on date and amount. This might also work as a poor substitute for the ’security’ that some users ask for. If they have the option to unset the reconcile flag based on the transaction data they prefer, they might set it for everything. Then they can easily see with a reconcile filter if any transactions before the last reconciliation have been edited. (not perfect or ideal as it won’t prevent the change or tell you who made it)

Just a thought. I certainly am not advocating to create more work.

Regards,
Adrien