[GNC] Formatting reply posts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Jan 13 15:08:03 EST 2019

How ironic (or purposeful?) this latest reply has ‘unquoted’ parts of the previous reply. Now your message and parts of the one you were replying to look as if they are all part of the same message making this a difficult read. If you are using a mail client that indicates quoted material (as most do by default) you’ll see below that it appears there are only 2 levels, but there are in fact 3 if you’ve been following the thread. (my current reply is a 4th level)

When following your 3rd suggestion to "Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated” one has to be careful not to remove your own mail client’s markers that denote the remaining text as being a quote or else the below will result:

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 4:27 PM, aeg via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 21:15, aeg via gnucash-user<gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:>> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...>    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
> Tricky for those that do not want (or cannot) use html formatting.Also most mail clients use one of the common techniques foridentifying quoted text.
>
> This is a pity because I find many of the GnuCash posts very difficult to follow as they are usually formatted. What about indenting? Is that available to all?
>

>>     - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.
> Certainly. I notice that you have not done this yourself.
>
> I thought all of the text I quoted (left in) was related to my post; I had certainly deleted a substantial amount of text from the original posts that was not related to formatting. However, when I wrote that, I was really thinking of the very lengthy posts that contain several re-quoted passages from a long thread.
>
>>     ...>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).
>
> Not usually necessary.
> Colin
>
> Agreed, but note that I did add "if required" because there have been occasions where an initial comment has been helpful.
> Alan

Regards,
Adrien