[GNC] Features

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Jan 17 06:25:43 EST 2019

1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?

Yes QFX is a proprietary form of OFX and GnuCash can import it.
2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?

This depends on whether you use the XMLtext file file format or one of the
database backends. For the XML format, it creates a backup each time you
open the file in the same folder the file is in. It also creates a log file
which can be imported for each session. If you have a file problem you can
open a previous backup that was working correctly then import the log files
up to the point where it fails. A full backup strategy with offsite storage
is the users responsibility. Some of us store our files on cloud servers
where one arm of the backup strategy is the server backups.

For the database backends you need to implement a database backup strategy

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?

That will depnd on what formats moneydance can export. GnuCash has OFX/QFX
,QIF and CSV import facilities. I believe Moneydance can export QIF files
and /or CSV ( comma or tab delimited).

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/import-qif.html

4. Does it have some sort of budget?

Yes it has a budgeting system. I don't use it at the moment . Someone else
may be able to comment further.

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_budgets.html
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Budget_Requirements

David Cousens