[GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jan 17 11:43:16 EST 2019

Xboxboy Mageia <xboxboy.mageia at gmail.com> writes:

> I've got two fedora servers that have done multiple os updates over the
> years. Mine have all gone smoothly. Best of luck, hope it goes as well as
> mine have.

Thanks.  I've upgraded several machines (real and virtual) from F25 ->
F29 over the past week or two.  Some have gone more smoothly than
others.  But of course YMMV.  For example, there were some packaging
issues going from F27 -> F28 that required me to remove some packages,
upgrade, and then add them back in.  I don't think code will be affected
by this, but you never know.  This is also why I try very very very hard
to keep to distributed packages and not build-your-own.

The real key, however, is to make sure that all the services are
properly configured at the end of the process.  For example, on one
server I had the httpd.conf file got reset, which required me to
re-configure it.  I suspect this will happen on code, too.  In other
case, a giflib program that I was using was dropped (upstream), causing
some scripts to break.  This specifically wont affect code, but a
similar issue might arrise.  It's "minor" things like this that I feel
will take the most amount of time, not the dnf system-upgrade steps.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745