[GNC] Features

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Jan 17 12:34:47 EST 2019

On 1/16/19 11:27 AM, Kevin Kelly wrote:
> I’ve used Mondeydance for a long time. Unfortunately, updates to Mac OS have impacted mouse actions and it is difficult now to navigate. I have no complaints, it is free and I’ve gotten good use. Now, I need a replacement and I’m considering GNUCASH. Can it:
>
> 1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?
Yes.  I use that feature for both my bank and credit card transactions.
> 2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?
Yes.  But you need to ensure that you have a system-wide backup/recovery
strategy in place.  It will write the pre-changed file as a backup
before overwriting it with the changed data.  But, you need to get it
off the system to a safe place in case you lose your hard drive (or house).
> 3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?
Google search indicates that Moneydance can do a QIF export.  GnuCash
(GnC or GC) can import from QIF or QFX or CSV type files.
> 4. Does it have some sort of budget?
Yes.  But I don't use.

> If I have to start over, it is no big deal but I do need to be able to import using a downloaded transaction file.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Kevin

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com