[GNC] dpkg-builder

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun Jan 20 13:33:28 EST 2019

On 1/20/19 2:36 AM, Andrew Clark wrote:
> There's a GnuCash 3.4 Debian package in buster/testing
> already? https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash
>

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 07:36, Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net
> <mailto:kg7je at arrl.net>> wrote:
>
>     Anybody a wizard with dpkg-builder?  Still trying to get a debian
>     package ready for folks.  I'm in over my head.
>
>     Private mail me -- so we don't use up the bandwidth on either of these
>     mailing lists.--
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew.

That has the following problems:

1.  It is for Buster.  At least one person on these mailing lists has
tried to load it up under Ubuntu 18.10 and ran into a slew of dependency
problems.

2.  It is in the mainstream and won't make it to the releasable public
for months.

3.  There is no "daily" for those who want to live on the bleeding edge.

I have no interest in feeding into the mainline of major distributions.
In fact, I can compile the source for my own utilization on my Ubuntu
18.04 box.  However, there are some who would like to have the more
recent releases available on their distro without having to compile the
source.

If possible, I would like to build a debian style package that is
available for the older distros.  I see interest for two such packages
that could be made available via a ppa.

1.  The latest general release such as 3.4. Available for any distro
rather than just Buster.

2.  A "daily" or "weekly" build of the latest set of patches to that
release.  This morning (USA-Pacific Coast), there have been 38 commits
since 3.4.  Others, in addition to myself, may have interest in having
those available.

Your welcome!

--Steve

--