[GNC] Reconciliation is not adding up correctly - what to do??

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 11:51:49 EST 2019

As noted in the Tutorial, the opening balance in a reconciliation is immaterial. What matters is the ending balance. If they match, then you can finish reconciliation.

The Tutorial explains some of the circumstances that might cause an opening balance not to match.

David T.

On January 24, 2019, at 9:30 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 13:59, Finbar Mahon <mahon.finbar at neuf.fr> wrote:

> I understand the logic of what you describe, but, I started using
> GNUCash with effect from 1.1.2018.
>
> The opening balance on the bank statement for one of the asset a/c was
> €3,986.22 and the ending balance on 16.2.2018 was €5,117.09
>
> Gnucash shows the ending balance as €5,117.02 but the reconcile shows
> another figure of €1,674.47 as the opening balance (bottom right hand
> side) while the left hand panel (funds in) shows the correct opening
> balance....

When you start a reconcile it should show the opening balance the same
as on your bank statement and you should manually enter the ending
balance to the value it shows on the bank statement.  Are you doing
that?

I don't understand where you are seeing the figures you describe.  Can
you post a screenshot showing it?

Colin