[GNC] Other Income Account

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Jan 26 10:26:13 EST 2019

I’ll add on to Michael’s advice with my own take:

I established a set of Current Asset accounts under a parent called Reimbursements. Each child account belongs to a particular family member or friend with whom I regularly share expenses in both directions—e.g.,

Assets:Current Assets:Reimbursements:Mom
Assets:Current Assets:Reimbursements:Dad

When I spend on their behalf, I expense my portion if any, and their portion gets debited to this asset account.

When they pay me back, I credit their asset account. (reducing what is owed to me, what I have claim to)

If they pay on my behalf, I expense my portion, but instead of paying it out of my cash/checking, I do so with a credit to their Reimbursement account.

Rarely do we actually exchange cash, but this way if we want to settle up, I have the net figures.

I use these also for sharing gift costs amongst my siblings for our parents.

You could do this with liability accounts if you are regularly owing others, I just chose to put it under assets. You can also create both asset and liability for each individual, but then you don’t get the benefit of ’trading’ expenses and quickly seeing a net balance owed by or to a particular individual.

Regards,
Adrien