[GNC] Printing problems

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Jan 26 14:30:16 EST 2019

Lester,

Welcome to GnuCash!

Many before you have made the migration from Quicken to GnuCash quite successfully. (I myself used Quicken many, many, years ago)

This is a public mailing list of users and volunteers where anyone may be able to help.

First and foremost, keeping the discussion public means others can offer assistance, and others can benefit from the discussion. (now or in the future)

I’m just a user like you. I can’t promise any special help, though I’m glad to do so where I can.

Specifically to your current issue, I don’t print checks. I’ve never used that facility of GnuCash, and I don’t currently have a working printer so I can’t even test any possible solutions for you.

I couldn’t be of further assistance with any specificity, but I can offer a few suggestions:

Exactly, what do you mean by “it kicks me out”? Does GnuCash crash? Does it just go away, or is there an error message or crash report on screen?

Have you tested printing reports? Do you get the same result?

Do you have a ‘virtual printer’ such as PDF or XPS installed? (most Windows systems have a virtual XPS printer installed by default, and you can easily add a free PDF printer)

Using a virtual printer, do you still get a crash? Can you use the ‘print to file’ option?

The reason I ask these questions is to narrow down the trigger to the problem.

If some things can print in GnuCash, but not others, or if successful using a virtual printer rather than an actual physical printer, then this can help narrow down where the problem is occurring.

While I wouldn’t be able to help you beyond that, someone else reading this thread might have enough info to point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Adrien