[GNC] Upgrade Path from version 2.6.16 on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and beyond

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 05:56:00 EST 2019

I have been contentedly using Gnucash since 2010, initially on Ubuntu but more recently on iMac, and although I have no problems with the version I’m using it’s probably time I upgraded.

I have a few questions:

1. Will 2.6.16 still run on the Mac when the withdrawal of support for 32-bit software takes place (it was to have taken place with the move from High Sierra to Mojave, but has been deferred until the next OS release)?

2. Can I go straight from 2.6.16 to 3.4 (the current stable release), or do I have to upgrade in stages?

3. Are the data files with the newer releases backward-compatible with earlier ones? (i.e. Can I drop back to an earlier version after opening and/or editing my files in the current one?).

4. Is there a tidy way of running two versions on the same computer and keeping their respective data files separate?

5. Is it better to use the compiled version available as a download, or to compile in situ? (I have both MacPorts and Homebrew set up on my computer).

I see from recent posts that there appear to be difficulties with the uploading of bank statements and of stock market prices,  but I use neither of these features.

My accounts are stored in .gnucash files, not in a database.

Regards,

Michael