[GNC] Reconciliation is not adding up correctly - what to do??

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jan 28 08:17:35 EST 2019

I could be wrong, but I read “opening balance” to mean the balance when the account was created in GnuCash, not the “starting balance” for the reconciliation. Certainly, when you first create an account, you have to tell GnuCash how much is already in the account if it pre-existed.

It could be that the user is erroneously entering this as the reconciliation starting balance without it first being reconciled.

I’d think the solution is either:

1. Reconcile only the opening balance transaction, then proceed with a regular reconciliation, using that amount as the ’starting balance'
2. Use a 'starting balance' of zero and know you have to check off that initial transaction as if it appeared on the bank statement. (because technically it does in the ‘beginning balance’ figure on the statement.

On the point of being ’slightly off’, I understood the OP to mean that previously they do not regularly reconcile, but rather ‘cursorily view’ their account and do not usually worry about exactness until the end of the year. (presumably when an actual reconciliation is done)

Regards,
Adrien