[GNC] Upgrade Path from version 2.6.16 on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and beyond

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jan 28 08:24:54 EST 2019

> It’s not clear whether “data files” is meant to refer to *your* data files, or *the application’s.* Adrien is right that you can easily load multiple versions of the application simply by naming one “Gnucash 2.6.19.app” and the other “Gnucash 3.4.app”  That is what I have done; I’ve also put both on my dock and use them regularly.
>
> Both of them, however, will default to opening the same data file, again since the same configuration files are used. You could work around this by installing the different versions under different users on MacOS.

I did this as well when 3.x came out.

Here was my workflow for installation:

Download both versions.

Open GnuCash 2.6.19.dmg, rename Gnucash.app to Gnucash-2.app, drag it to /Applications

Open GnuCash 3.x and drag it to /Applications

This produced two ~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash folders, one for each version, so my configurations were not the same (I made them so eventually) and my data file pointer was different because I intentionally first opened different files with each version.

I never had issue with one version opening the other’s data file, though I occasionally did this on purpose to test data integrity.

Note though, I didn’t regularly jump back and forth. I only used this to test and triage some bugs before I reported them.

I’ve since removed all traces of 2.6.x and solely use 3.4 now.

Regards,
Adrien