[GNC] Upgrade Path from version 2.6.16 on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and beyond

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:40:13 EST 2019

Hi David

I run 2.6.21 and 3.4 side by side on my machine on the same data file
> without trouble. The visual experiences can’t be optimized for both since
> they use different UI engines but the same configuration files it seems.
>
> There are also numerous incompatibilities with the standard reports
> between the versions, which make it moderately annoying to run them across
> versions. Specifically, the Transaction report total settings are
> completely different and incompatible, making a saved report based on this
> unusable in one or the other versions. While it would be preferable for
> these reports to preserve backwards compatibility, I am willing to accept
> the loss for the joy of having someone finally working on reports...

The place to document such incompatibilities is within bugzilla rather than
vague complaints of 'something broken'.

There was utmost care to try preserve options compatibility except in cases
whereby the old option (eg. incorrect subtotal signs) led to completely
wrong output. In more than one case, behaviour was modified to accommodate
and maintain compatibility, at the expense of potentially adding new
features / better cleanup.

It is very helpful to know the report options used, so that the report can
be analysed. Small test files are also extremely useful. Hence the new-ish
option 'General / Add options summary' in the Transaction Report was
designed specifically for this purpose -- to demonstrate which options were
used in generating a report. The aim is to add this feature to *all*
reports, but time is lacking.

With regards to subtotals signs -- I agree it's not perfect yet -- but
still don't know the best approach to determine subtotals signs. Comments
are welcome.