[GNC] Upgrade Path from version 2.6.16 on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and beyond

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 13:16:15 EST 2019

Well, in addition to the malformed subtotals with respect to user sign preferences, there's the problem that the method for producing a totals-only report has been substantially reworked.

In 2.6, using "Show totals" and "Suppress transaction detail" worked to create a report that did just that. In version 3, that saved report results in output that shows transaction detail (but no transaction amounts), and no totals. You have to edit the options, add back the amount on transaction detail, but then change a setting on a different tab to set "Sorting / Show subtotals only (hide transactional data)".

That, to me, is incompatible.

While it is true that there is a workaround for this, it requires the user to reconfigure every saved report based on the transaction report. And then the report won't work on 2.6 any more.

Since the OP was inquiring about backward compatibility, I felt he should be made aware of this one. And since you were intimately involved with both the report rewrite AND the thread in which I raised this issue previously, I figured you were aware of it.

If you revisit the earlier thread, you will see that I was not vague at all; I was quite specific. At least I was specific enough that you seemed to understand it and guide me immediately to the proper workaround.

David