[GNC] Upgrade Path from version 2.6.16 on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) and beyond

Jason Voss jasonvos at swbell.net
Tue Jan 29 13:35:45 EST 2019

HELP
How do I stop getting buried in all these emails by any method other than unsubscribing?

Jason Voss
“You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.” – Abraham Lincoln

<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
> >> It’s not clear whether “data files” is meant to refer to *your* data
> >> files, or *the application’s.* Adrien is right that you can easily load
> >> multiple versions of the application simply by naming one “Gnucash
> >> 2.6.19.app” and the other “Gnucash 3.4.app”  That is what I have done;
> >> I’ve also put both on my dock and use them regularly.
> >>
> >> Both of them, however, will default to opening the same data file, again
> >> since the same configuration files are used. You could work around this
> >> by installing the different versions under different users on MacOS.>
> > I did this as well when 3.x came out.
> >
> > Here was my workflow for installation:
> >
> > Download both versions.
> >
> > Open GnuCash 2.6.19.dmg, rename Gnucash.app to Gnucash-2.app, drag it to
> > /Applications
> >
> > Open GnuCash 3.x and drag it to /Applications
> >
> > This produced two ~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash folders, one for
> > each version, so my configurations were not the same (I made them so
> > eventually) and my data file pointer was different because I
> > intentionally first opened different files with each version.
> Interesting. I dragged to Applications and THEN renamed, which resulted in
> only one Gnucash config folder. Wish I’d thought of that!

I'm curious: what are the names of the two directories that were created ? Or
in other words, how are those names decided on MacOS ?

As far as I know on linux and Windows the names are hardcoded to use the
compile time application name unless overridden by setting GNC_DATA_DIR and
GNC_CONFIG_DIR environment variables. The latter (GNC_CONFIG_DIR) is only
introduces in GnuCash 3.4.

Geert