[GNC] Change a batch of transactions from income to Expense

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Jul 4 09:58:08 EDT 2019

Morayweb,
      Gnucash, well any method of double entry bookkeeping can do so
much more for you. What you have described is much as double entry was
many centuries ago. You can (and should) set up the accounts so that you
can get much more information about the finances of the camp. Imagine
(with what you have) the camp board asked a question like "how much was
spent on food?" or "what did we get in donations?".

      I am going to suggest something, that we work off-line/on-line so
that what I would do for you (I am experienced with non-profit
bookkeeping as well as a retired systems/business analyst) will be most
helpful to both you AND other inexperienced people trying to set up
books for a non-profit/club/etc.

     First << working off-line, direct email >> we will work together
formulating the question you SHOULD have asked*. Something along the
lines of "this is how our scout camp works; how do I set up books for
it?". When we have THAT worked out you would submit that to the list <<
sort of starting this process over >> to get an immediate response from
me << we would already have that worked out off-line >> what your CoA
(chart of accounts; the hierarchy/tree of accounts) might look like for
the camp operation you asked about. That could also describe the reports
you would likely run to extract information about the finances of the camp.

If you are game, let me know.

Michael D Novack

* Helping a client with this is one of the things a business analyst
does. The client knows the answers, but needs to be prompted. If the
"business operation" isn't descried correctly, then the "systems" (in
this case the books) won't be correct.

On 7/4/2019 8:29 AM, morayweb wrote:
> Hi sorry for all this hastle.
> I am trying to setup a simple money in and out system for a non profit scout
> group.
> We have a Bank account with all money in it.
>
> If we were holding a camp say, then Camp out would be the money spent on
> food and expenses for the camp and Camp In would be Money coming in from the
> scouts going on the camp.  The same would go for events.
>
> Building and maintenance etc is just money out.  We also have a few other
> things coming in like gift aid or grants.
>
> So basically a 2 column cash book.
> Hope this is a bit better.
> Thanks
>

> --

There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.