[GNC] Scheduled transactions: Why create in advance?

AEG aeg21212-forum at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 7 03:46:40 EDT 2019

Having found that the only way to see the future effects of scheduled
transactions on my account balances is to "Create in advance", I went
through the tedious process of individually setting all 60+ of my scheduled
transactions to create 14 days in advance, then later going through the
whole process again to change this to 7 days in advance. (A global setting
would have saved a lot of time!)

Although creating in advance is not a problem for some transactions,
undesirable consequences with others have persuaded me to abandon this
feature entirely and rely on AceMoney to provide the information I seek. (I
had hoped to discontinue use of AceMoney in favour of GnuCash). The problem
I refer to is as follows...

Two of my scheduled transactions, which were set to create 14 days in
advance, turned out to have errors or lacked information that I wanted to
enter on those and all future transactions. This meant that, not only did I
have to edit the future transactions in Transaction Editor but to also
individually edit the ones that had already been created.

If the transactions were just made visible in the account registers but not
created, I would have been able to spot the errors and change the scheduled
transactions before any of them were created, which is something I can
easily do in AceMoney. This leaves me wondering how/why others use the
"Create in Advance" feature because I'm finding it difficult to understand
why it exists.

Alan