[GNC] Unsplitting a transaction

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 5 15:05:04 EDT 2019

On 2019-06-05 14:47, David Carlson wrote:
> It has always been my custom to start from the left in the row that
> I want to delete and alternately hit delete and tab across until the
> split disappears completely. I am not sure if that is the only way to
> do it, but I got into that habit long ago.
Is that really necessary in 3.5? It's certainly NOT necessary in 2.6.19,
which I'm using.

Click anywhere in the split (line item) that you want to delete, then
click the red slash-in-a-circle (Delete) icon in the toolbar. You get a
confirming prompt which specifically mentions you're about to delete a
split -- a single line item within a transaction.

There's absolutely no need to delete any numbers first -- I've just
verified this by trying it.

(The confirming prompt contains a check box "Remember and don't ask me
again."  If you don't get the prompt, most likely you ticked that box at
some point and forgot about it.)

BTW, GnuCash won't let you delete a split that belongs to the account
register you're working in. For example, if you have the "Yard
Maintenance" account open and are editing a transaction in that account
register, you can't delete a split identifying the Yard Maintenance
account. You _can_ edit that split to identify a different account, and
then delete it. If you do that, be sure to make all changes before
pressing Enter, because the transaction will disappear from the "Yard
Maintenance" register as soon as you do. Of course you can still find it
in the account register for any of the remaining splits.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com