[GNC] Pending Edit Behavior in GnuCash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 6 19:23:03 EDT 2019

> On Jun 6, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 19:04, Adrien Monteleone
> <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 6, 2019, at 12:40 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Adrien,
>>>
>>> Looking at your comments, I have two questions.
>>>
>>> 1. Does SQLite not allow pending edits at all? or is it after every keystroke?  How do you avoid accidental deletions?
>>
>> Not sure specifically what you mean by ‘pending edits'. I think writes are supposed to be instant, but I haven’t tested exactly how ‘instant’ —as by keystroke, Tab, or Enter as a commit. I don’t know that I’ve accidentally deleted something critical, certainly not an entire transaction. I might have inadvertently changed an account assignment to something I didn’t want, or selected an entire memo and deleted it when I only wanted to delete a portion of it, but that is an easy fix, especially as I’ll notice it immediately. (I wish CMD-Z ‘undo’ worked though - since it doesn’t, perhaps writes are by keystroke?) As long as the app is still open, I just make any changes I need. I’m not prevented from doing so. (I also keep the app open 24/7 and only close to do an update of GC itself, or the OS)
>
> I believe the transaction is not saved until you hit that last Enter
> key to do it.  There is, after all, a Cancel button at the top that
> allows one to revert the transaction being edited back to what it was
> originally.

Mostly right: Committing the edit immediately generates a database update. If it's editing an object with a dialog box (including transactions with the Transfer Dialog) then clicking the OK button commits. For transactions in the register, it's hitting Enter, tabbing off the end, or clicking on a different transaction and then confirming the edit in the message box.

Regards,
John Ralls