[GNC] Pending Edit Behavior in GnuCash

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 04:57:36 EDT 2019

On 6/5/2019 4:51 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
<snip the un-splitting transactions>

>> GnuCash, at least in the 2.6.xx series usually prohibits leaving a
>> transaction that contains pending edits without using the Enter key to
>> commit the edits, but it has some exceptions which set up some difficult
>> situations when finally trying to do a manual File > Save.  At that point
>> it asks if you want to save edits in some register view which may even be
>> accidental edits or keystrokes that would delete desired data.
>>
>> The most common action (for me) that sets this up is to start an edit in
>> some register then navigate to another register without first saving the
>> pending edit.  This easily happens if the user is reviewing results from
>> the Since Last Run assistant especially if a cat crosses the keyboard.
> Using Sqlite backend, of course I get instant saves so I don’t see this issue anymore, but that sort of ambiguous ’save edits’ question is disconcerting if you are pretty sure you’ve committed all transactions, and now you’re being told you haven’t.
>
>> I can see the reasoning that often users may need to view other registers
>> to compare the transaction currently being edited to something else, so I
>> do not want to prevent that.  I would propose that the tabs containing
>> pending edits flash in some way to catch the user's attention so he can
>> find his way back to see if it was cat-tracks or a real pending edit.
> Interesting idea. Though this might interfere with the custom tab colors, I like the idea of some visual indicator that something has been edited and needs attention. (perhaps a bold or italic typeface change?) Flashing however I would not be in favor of.

I don't use the SQL back-end because of the lack of a rollback feature.
I frequently, much to often, make mistakes on import matching, wrong
account match, etc.  And some recent crashes have created something of a
nightmare for me  (the xml file is shall we say much more user friendly
in that regard).  Windoze 10 is not exactly stable, it crashes on
Micro$oft's own programs.  (wish list: the Ubuntu repositories provide
the latest version.  My attempts at building have failed miserably.  My
tower typically runs Windoze 10 while my networked laptop runs Ubuntu.
For whatever reason that is the only combination of OS's that I can get
to cooperate over my network.  I suspect it is a router incompatibility
but; that is my problem not the teams.)

I frequently get the message box of save or cancel the changed
transaction.  What transaction, I have not edited or started one. And
Gnu-Cash does not show me where or which transaction has been changed.
An indicator of the account which has been altered transaction and
taking me back to the transaction would be a godsend.

I agree a flashing account tab would not be aesthetic.  Perhaps a
scrolling color change for the account tab but; at least take me back to
the offending transaction so I can see if I am accepting or canceling a
mistake or not.

<snip>

>> Finally, I will throw out a radical suggestion that all edits get their own
>> new window instead of happening within a certain register view with a
>> certain "anchor" account which has special behavior compared to other split
>> lines.  This Edit window would not be tied to any account and would be
>> obviously not saved as long as it exists.
>>
> This already exists as the ‘General Journal’ (Tools menu) It’s your choice to use it. Though it is not implemented for only the currently edited transactions, but the entirety of your data file.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
I think I missed something here Adrien.  I only get a /months worth /of
transactions in a tab across some but not all accounts which have
entries.  What am I not setting right in preferences? (Windoze 10 =>
Version: 3.5 Build ID: 3.5+(2019-03-30) Finance::Quote: -)

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.