[GNC] I just don't understand reconciliation

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jun 18 04:54:36 EDT 2019

On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 08:11:45 BST ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
> On 6/17/19 11:47 PM, Michael Hendry wrote:
> > When you have checked the relevant entries in the reconciliation window
> > (as in your third screenshot), you’ll get a difference of $0.00.
> >
> > Now click on the “Finish” button, and the process will be complete, with
> > the transactions you have checked now marked “r”.
> Finish is grayed out.
>
> Tears  :'(

Finish will be greyed out until you get the "difference" to 0

I will note that reconcile is used to compare 2 peoples' (or bank or whatever)
versions of the state of an account.  it is an accounting term - read it in
the sense of "check my bank and I agree about what has happened to this
account"

 I understand that you are using bogus data to learn from, but your comment
about not having to work out the ending balance by hand is an artifact of not
having a real statement sent to you...

If this was a real CCard account, they would have sent you a statement saying
"OK, we think you've made these transactions [list] and on [6-11] the account
balance is [-135]"

You put into the GC reconcile box
1. the date of statement  (GC will try and guess this based on previous
reconcile dates - it is usually pretty close.)
2. check the opening balance (you can't change this, but if GC and your
statement don't agree here, you'll need to check the previous reconciles -
perhaps you missed a statement or something)
3.  based on the date entered at (1.)  GC will attempt to guess the statement
end balance.  It is usually wrong on a busy account.  Correct this to the
actual number on the statement.

so for your tests, your imaginary statement will have arrived, with an ending
balance of £135, not £128....so you need to enter that into GC as you start
the reconcile.

The rest should flow, and you will hopefully find the finish box enabled when you
have selected the txns that your "bozo card" knows about.

HTH,
Maf.