[GNC] New computer to set up gnucash and migrate from old.

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Jun 18 09:13:45 EDT 2019

On 6/17/2019 7:29 PM, Randy Rosebrock wrote:
> I'll check it out. You would thing gnucash would build in a
> backup/export/import function.

You are slightly misunderstanding the problems because you are thinking
of gnucash as being used to keep only one set of books. Also, gnucash
keeps a list of the last four books open and if not otherwise instructed
will try to open the last that was open.

Many of us who keep multiple sets of books turn that off. We are having
gnucash start without opening any set of books and then explicitly
telling it which to open. Particularly after migrating to a new computer
with different OS, even if you have only one set of books the "last
open" might not be found << path is different >>

file => open will let you CHOOSE the file (set of books) that you want
gnucash to open.

Michael D Novack

PS: The issue of preferences/settings IF these are to be different for
the different sets of books is most easily solved by having them under
different users (different computer logins). Just because you are one
human being doesn't mean that your computer knows that.