[GNC] extra column?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:28:30 EDT 2019

> On 19 Jun 2019, at 13:02, Larry Evans <cppljevans at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>
> You're not the first to request that feature:
>
>  https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-August/061582.html
>
> I'd also like such a feature.  As things are now, I create 2 subaccounts
> for a bank account, one subaccount called pending, the other called
> done.  The pending is for checks written, the done is for checks
> cleared.  When a check clears, I transfer from pending to done; hence,
> when all checks clear, the pending has 0.0 balance.
>
> This requires double entries, but it's easier for me to follow.

Hi, Larry.

Can you explain why working this way is useful to you?

The way I see it, when I write a cheque (rare these days) or make a payment using a credit card, I am committed to that expenditure, and the balance in my bank or credit card account as shown in Gnucash takes that into consideration.

Even if several weeks have gone by and the cheque hasn’t been cleared, I can’t write a further cheque that would take me into the red because the cheque could be cleared tomorrow and make my account overdrawn.

I assume you’re using the reconciliation feature to ensure that Gnucash and your bank are in step with one another, so the pending transaction will stand out.

Michael