[GNC] Register Reconcile Issue

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jun 28 16:39:24 EDT 2019

> On Jun 28, 2019, at 1:24 PM, Dale Alspach <alspachde at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Today I was reconciling an account and noticed a peculiar behavior.
>
> Typically I check heavily used credit and bank accounts online a few
> times a month. At that time I mark transactions cleared "c" which have
> appeared online. When a statement comes I usually clear any additional
> transactions appearing on the statement and then click Reconcile.
>
> Today I marked a transaction but apparently did not hit "enter" or move
> off the transaction before hitting Reconcile.
>
> In the Reconcile window this transaction was not marked cleared so I
> marked it and finished the reconciliation. To my surprise this
> transaction was not marked "y". This seems to me to be a bug. It could
> easily confuse a user and foul subsequent reconciliations.
>
> A possible resolution would be to have "Reconcile" pop up the "save or
> discard changes" message, when there have been modifications, before
> opening the reconcile window. Second, if a transaction is marked in the
> reconcile window and the reconcile is finished, all reconciled
> transactions should be marked "y" in the register regardless of previous
> state.

It might not be intuitive but it's not a bug: You've started an edit on the transaction but the changes you've made aren't visible to the rest of the program until you commit them by moving to another transaction, nor can any other part of the program edit it.

The suggestion that reconciling an account should be permitted only if the account has no transactions being edited is reasonable and should prevent both problems.

Regards,
John Ralls