[GNC] Importing buying shares transactions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 4 16:49:43 EST 2019

The following refers primarily to importing in V3.3 and later. The CSV
importer was rewritten going from 2.6.  to v3.0 and was likely only tested
on basic functionality. At the moment I am doing extensive systematic
testing of the CSV importer and settings with a view to identifying as many
of the problems as possible and fixing them.

The CSV importer currently does not work properly importing multi currency
transactions. I have not yet tested it on trading accounts specifically but
that is in the todo loop for the near future. With multicurrency imports one
problem is associated with applying the price so it is possible the same
problem extends to trading accounts.  There also appear to be some problems
with the transaction export using File->Export Transactions to CSV as it
only appears to export the headers and no data. I have found File->Export
Transactions from Active Register is working correctly for single currency
transactions and multicurrency transactions so far.

To have a chance at importing it use the GnuCash Export Settings in the
import and leave all the other settings at the default settings apart from
the multisplit check box which needs to be checked to import multiline data
and setting the correct date format. It is usually necessary to play around
a bit with the assignment of columns as the headers and column labels aren't
always a 1-1 match.  If you do find a combination of settings which works
could you please let me know.

There is a problem with date formats in that the locale setting is not
currently being used to set the default date format. Once it is matched
though it usually works OK. I usually have to reset it to my usual local
format on all imports.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens