[GNC] Fwd: Bonus share entry

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 08:27:28 EST 2019

As David says, tab is your friend here.

As far as the valuation goes, the additional shares, when added at zero cost to you, will serve to reduce the overall cost basis of the position, which will be reflected in the gain amount when you sell. At least, that's how I understand it.

If they are in fact some kind of in-kind bonus (think stock bonus) that is given in lieu of a real value, then you would value the shares accordingly. Thus, a bonus of 100 shares in lieu of a $1000 bonus would be treated as bonus income, and each share in this transaction would be valued at $10.

I'd be careful in this situation not to mistakenly let this artificially-low price skew the value of the position.

Cheers,
David