[GNC] Monthly Income V Expense Report (Not Chart)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Mar 8 18:32:49 EST 2019

Dan,

What you are looking for (per your screenshot) is a multi-period Income Statement.(P&L)

GnuCash doesn’t have this yet. (it is under development, but work has hit a roadblock, so don’t expect it soon)

For now, you have three options:

1. Run the Transaction Report that Chris offered, export or copy/paste to a spreadsheet and massage from there.

This option will get you the monthly figures all in neat columns along with a total and average column as well as account names for each row. You’ll just need to add total lines for Expenses and Income, but it also provides a ’net income/loss’ labeled as “Grand Total” - adjust as desired. You’ll also need to delete all of those boldface ’total for’ lines as I can’t seem to get rid of them and only get the account summary portion.

2. Run an Income Statement/P&L for each desired period, export or copy/paste to a spreadsheet and massage from there.

I’ve been using this option. I save the report, open it in LibreOffice calc via the “Insert Sheet from File” function in the Insert menu, and then copy only the data column over. You’ll have to always 'include zero balance accounts' so everything lines up as some periods may not have transactions in all accounts. I then copy over columns which calculate percentages and a variance for each period for further analysis. I also have a YTD column. (I think I’ll add an ‘average’ column now as that would be useful for budgeting)

3. Run a Multi-Column report and make each desired column an Income/P&L report, each configured to a different period.

The downside here is each column will repeat the account labels which takes up unnecessary space and clutters the report. (which is why a proper version is in development) You can use this as-is, or export or copy/paste to a spreadsheet to remove the extraneous labels and add a ’YTD’ or other columns as needed.

I would say Chris’s options on the Transaction Report seem to be the least amount of work and that is probably the better option if you ever edit transactions in a prior period as that will get you the most up-to-date data where my method-2 would require re-exporting the prior periods each time. (I think I’ll switch, using this as a source to pull data into my custom sheet that has percentages and variances)

Regards,
Adrien