[GNC] retained earnings in balance sheet: where does it come from?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Mar 10 05:16:03 EDT 2019

Yes, sorry. I misunderstood your post.

The Balance Sheet Report does show a Retained Earnings line if you do not close books that is calculated as if you had. (which is why you don’t need to use that procedure, GnuCash doesn’t require you to close books as that is a procedure mostly dictated by physical paper constraints)

I thought you meant an actual account with that name, hence my previous post.

So the Balance Sheet is telling you the result of Income-Expenses for 2016 is 54.10.

The fact that this is also the same amount as this particular transaction you entered for 13/01/17 is purely coincidental. (and should be, since it is entered in 2017 and you are running a balance sheet as of 31/12/16, unless you *aren’t* setting that report date properly) Transactions after 31/12/16 (or whatever date you run your balance sheet for) are not part of the report calculation, so they can’t affect it.

2015 might not show that line, but that would mean your expenses match your income exactly for that year, an unlikely but not impossible scenario.

First, be certain of your report dates in the General Tab.

The ‘Retained Earnings/Loss’ line in the Balance Sheet should be equal to the ’Net Income/Loss’ for the same period on the Income Statement/P&L.

(that is what you would zero out to an actual ‘retained earnings’ account which is a child of Equity)

Your Net for 2016 should be 54.10.

Your Net for 2015 should be zero.

(assuming your Balance Sheet Report dates are 31/12/16 and 31/12/15 respectively)