[GNC] Using a mysql database?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Mar 13 09:29:14 EDT 2019

Joseph,

On Wed, March 13, 2019 8:53 am, Joseph Vernice wrote:
> There are no logon credentials for an XML database,

Sure there are -- your user account login credentials!

Unless, of course, you don't HAVE user login credentials, at which point I
would say "there's your problem"!

>  making it easy for someone to access your data.

They would need to break into your computer, first, to access your data!
MySQL has a network flair to it, which means that there are probably MORE
people who can access that than your laptop/desktop with correct user
account settings.

>    I use a mysql database that requires
> credentials to log on.  Also, I change the port from the default 3306 to
> something else.  The port is blocked by my firewall.  I can do this only
> because the DB server is on my LAN.

Note that AFAIK, mysql connections are not encrypted, so someone listening
on your network could see your data.  Your password is probably secure
because I do believe that it uses a hashed value over the wire. But if
you're doing it for security only, you're kind of missing the point.  :(

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745