[GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Mar 13 14:22:01 EDT 2019

Hi Jack,

On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:09 pm, Jack Slater wrote:
> Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
> window:
>
> "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
>
> option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open anyway,
> quit

First thing to try:  Do you have another copy of GnuCash open?
If NOT...  What happens of you try "Open Anyway"?

Here's what's going on.  When GnuCash is open, it creates the lock file to
ensure a second copy doesn't grab the file and possibly cause you to lose
data.  If you shut down the computer while GnuCash was still running then
GnuCash didn't exit cleanly and, as a result, didn't delete the lock file.

The "Open Anyway" option is basically your way to tell GnuCash that this
is what happened.

So, does that work?

> I need to get that file open it has all my data!
>
> I do have a back up.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745