[GNC] Archive part of my data

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 02:09:25 EDT 2019

A quick search online yielded:https://github.com/fefe982/gnucash-XML-split
I can't vouch for the reliability of the program.
David

  On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:54, Michael or Penny Novack<stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:   On 3/14/2019 2:46 PM, Jonathan Heard wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I have been using GnuCash for a long time and the file containing my
> records goes back 10 years.
>
> Is there a way to snip off the first 5 years and hold in a separate
> (Archive) file? This would speed up the loading of my system.

There is no way to do this retroactively.

Remember, in the old pen and ink on paper in bound books days they used
to start new volumes. Usually at the end of each accounting period (say
once  a year).

You could get faster books and an archive IN THE FUTURE. Just close the
books at the next end of accounting period and save that (the file).
Then export the CoA, import that (empty) CoA to a new file, and open the
books by entering the balances of all the standing account (asset,
liability, equity).

Repeat every time your file gets too big (decide right before the end of
an accounting period. You can of course see the "archived" set of books
by having gnucash open THAT file.

Michael D Novack