[GNC] Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 13:19:00 EDT 2019

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 16:36, Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That makes sense. Thank you for the very helpful response and the example.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

Am I alone in finding the use of the word “split” in this context to be confusing?

In ordinary everyday English, splitting an object involves its being separated into two or more fragments.

When I split a log in two with an axe, the result is ONE split (the plane in which the log separates) and TWO smaller logs. If I keep on going, the outcome of N splits is (N - 1) smaller logs.

In the context of double-entry bookkeeping, each transaction involves two entries - one (for example) recording the issue of a cheque from a bank account, and the other logging the same transaction through the appropriate expense account.

When several expense accounts are involved in the same payment (e.g. if you buy petrol, milk and a bunch of flowers at a service station) there are actually three double entries. It’s convenient to record the cheque issued to cover all three expenses as one entry, and to allocate an entry for each of the separate expenses to put together as one (quadruple)-entry transaction.

So what you get when you split a Gnucash transaction is two or more _entries_ relating to the same financial transaction.

No?

Michael