[GNC] Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 18 14:23:07 EDT 2019

At Mon, 18 Mar 2019 18:54:30 +0100 Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:

> Hi Hendry,
>
> The term split has been in use in GnuCash long before I joined the project. As
> I'm not an accountant, I don't know which would be the proper formal
> accounting term to use in this context. And additionally it may be very hard
> to change the use of this term throughout the project (though if there really
> is a more correct term it may be worth gradually promoting it).
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> Op maandag 18 maart 2019 18:19:00 CET schreef Michael Hendry:
> > > On 18 Mar 2019, at 16:36, Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > That makes sense. Thank you for the very helpful response and the example.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Patrick
> >
> > Am I alone in finding the use of the word “split” in this context to be
> > confusing?
> >
> > In ordinary everyday English, splitting an object involves its being
> > separated into two or more fragments.
> >
> > When I split a log in two with an axe, the result is ONE split (the plane in
> > which the log separates) and TWO smaller logs. If I keep on going, the
> > outcome of N splits is (N - 1) smaller logs.

When you split a log, you end up two (or more) log sections (generally like
pie slices). One can say "one split that log". In the case of GnuCash, one
split the overall transation across two (or more) accounts. It is also common
English usage to "split the tab" when a group of friends goes out for dinner,
etc. This comes very close to what is happening in GnuCash.

> > In the context of double-entry bookkeeping, each transaction involves two
> > entries - one (for example) recording the issue of a cheque from a bank
> > account, and the other logging the same transaction through the appropriate
> > expense account.
> >
> > When several expense accounts are involved in the same payment (e.g. if you
> > buy petrol, milk and a bunch of flowers at a service station) there are
> > actually three double entries. It’s convenient to record the cheque issued
> > to cover all three expenses as one entry, and to allocate an entry for each
> > of the separate expenses to put together as one (quadruple)-entry
> > transaction.
> >
> > So what you get when you split a Gnucash transaction is two or more
> > _entries_ relating to the same financial transaction.
> >
> > No?
> >
> > Michael

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933