[GNC] Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 18:43:34 EDT 2019

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:54, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Hi Hendry,
>
> The term split has been in use in GnuCash long before I joined the project. As
> I'm not an accountant, I don't know which would be the proper formal
> accounting term to use in this context. And additionally it may be very hard
> to change the use of this term throughout the project (though if there really
> is a more correct term it may be worth gradually promoting it).
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Evening, Geert.

Agreed, in the glossary the definition of a split goes like this...

"Split
A split, or Ledger Entry, is the fundamental accounting unit...”

...I’ve been using Gnucash for 9 years and have coped with the concept in practice.

There is always a place for a tightly defined vocabulary in any technical context, but I’m puzzled at the choice of “split”, when “Ledger Entry” describes the idea so well, and split already means something else.

Perhaps it’s a UK/US usage thing?

I’ve never used the CSV import procedure, but I’ve been skimming the current threads on this topic and felt that Gnucash newbies might benefit from some clarification. For example, the term “multi-split” has no definition in the glossary.

“Multi-“ is conventionally used to mean “more than one”, but in this instance it’s been defined to mean “more than two”.

I’m not an accountant either, and I’m not necessarily arguing that the term “split” should be renamed, just pointing out that there is potential for misunderstanding.

Michael Hendry
(my email address has my surname and first name in that order because michael.hendry… was already taken when I signed up!)