[GNC] Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Mar 20 04:23:24 EDT 2019

Op dinsdag 19 maart 2019 22:10:29 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> I never understood the need or benefit to differentiate simple vs. split
> transactions since *all* transactions are split into two entries at least
> once. Perhaps dropping that distinction is in order, or does it serve some
> purpose that isn’t outweighed by the confusion it causes?
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

To my mind it serves a case in that we can offer a simplified input interface
for the two-split transactions.

We have long had the single-line interface to enter two-split transactions as
most new users find that interface easier to understand and use.

But this simplified interface can't be extended generically to also support 3-
or-more split transactions. In the personal accounting use case these are less
common however so we have optimized for the two-split use case (at least
that's what I suppose - it has been like that before I came into the project).

So you are right that all transactions are multi-split and it's not for the
transactions themselves we differentiate. We differentiate because for the
special case of only two splits we can offer simplified input interfaces.

Regards,

Geert