[GNC] Processing refunds

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 21 10:36:18 EDT 2019

Op donderdag 21 maart 2019 14:59:29 CET schreef Martijn Heuts:
> Hello,
> When I process a refund I pull up the customer's invoice, click on 'Pay
> invoices' and enter therefund amount in the 'refund' column. My P&L report
> did not show a difference when I compared it before and after processing
> the refund.Is there another way I should process the refund or is there a
> better report to show this refund? I would think the total income on the
> P&L should be less the refund. Thanks for giving my better insight in
> GNUcash!
> Martijn

As far as I understand paying a refund doesn't change your income. It only moves money from
one asset account (your bank account) to another asset account (your accounts receivable).

Your exact use case is not very clear from your description. What's the reason of the refund ?
* Did the customer pay you more than you invoiced ? In that case the income was already
created by the invoice, the (over)payment and refund were merely asset moves.

* Was part of an invoice disputed and the user requested a reduction ? In that case you should
create a credit note first (which would decrease your income), and the refund would be to "pay"
for this credit note.

Regards,

Geert