[GNC] End of year rollover

Christian Kluge frakturfreak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 15:51:00 EDT 2019

Am 21.03.2019 um 15:14 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Hi,
>
> Philip Burg <philip_burg at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to close my books at the end of my financial year but
>> have access to the previous years files, my thoughts were to archive
>> the file at the end of the year by backing up to a cd/dvd then start
>> afresh with the new financial year. would this be possible. I am using
>> windows 10 and Gnucash Version 3.4 Build I.D. 3.4+(2018-12-30)
>
> Archiving old books is always a good idea.
>
> Restarting at the begining of the year, however, is not necessarily is
> good idea.  Specifically, there is a Close Books feature that zero's out
> your Income & Expense accounts into Equity, but it doesn't actually
> DELETE any data.
>
> Your other option is to Export the account tree which will create an
> empty file and then re-open it.  The downside is that you will have to
> reset all your opening balances, and if you use any business features
> you will need to manually re-enter all that metadata too (customers,
> vendors, tax tables, etc).  I highly ANTI-recommend this approach.

I don’t know how to say it, but I think GnuCash might be better off with
a balance carry over method into the next year.

At least for me in Germany I can’t think of someone accounting for more
than one year and also only on certain circumstances accounting for
another period than 01.01. to 31.12.

I don’t know whether it would be possible to have an option the gnucash
file for the previous year which would be used comparisson reports.

Is there a way to ex- and import the business related things?

If there were the scenario you’ve described would a bit cumbersome but
still doable.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge