[GNC] End of year rollover

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 22 11:04:28 EDT 2019

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> writes:

> For now, the likely best method is exporting and using a spreadsheet
> for multi-period comparisons, though I seem to recall a proper
> multi-period report is in development.

I believe it has been committed to the repository already.  If not,
there is an open PR about it which implies it should be committed soon.

> The multi-column report could fit that bill, but as-is, repeats all of
> the account labels which makes things quite cluttered. There is also
> no way to see percentages or variances unless you use a
> spreadsheet. (or other reporting solution)

I agree that some things are best done outside GnuCash, but GnuCash can
certainly get you most of the way there.

> I find myself looking at odd periods and crossing yearly boundaries
> more often than I find myself comparing two monthly or annual
> periods. (though I need that too) If I had to close the books each
> year, I’d lose that ability, or at least it would be very cumbersome.

This would be much harder, I think, if you had separate data files.
Especially because GnuCash doesn't like having multiple files open
simultaneously.

> Regards,
> Adrien

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745