[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 22 16:00:02 EDT 2019

Hi Alan,

On Fri, March 22, 2019 3:33 pm, aeg via gnucash-user wrote:
> If I might comment on this topic, might thoughts are below Michael's...

[snip]
> I agree with Michael's points.A simple transaction consists of just one
> split but two parts, and saying (pretending) that a simple transaction has
> two splits is misleading.

You are confusing the VERB split -- the act of splitting two things into
pieces -- and the NOUN split, which are the results of the splitting.
While you are correct that a simple transaction has been split(v) only
once, that does not imply that it is made of one one split(n).

It is absolutely reasonable to use the same word to mean (slightly)
different things as a verb and as a noun.  It's also quite clear from
context (at least most of the time) whether you are using split(v) or
split(n).

When you say "split the wood in two" you are using split(v), not split(n).
 Calling each piece of the result a split(n) is perfectly reasonable,
which is what GnuCash does.

Have you ever heard the term "wine split"?  It refers to a 187ml bottle of
wine, which is the result of splitting up a 750ml bottle into 4 parts, or
a 350ml bottle into two.   Are you going to argue that a wine split (which
is yet another term-of-art) is wrong and go tilt at the wine industry
windmill next?   ;-)

> I see no problems with the use of terms like 'simple transaction' (with
> one split and two parts) or with 'compound transactions' (with 2+ splits
> and 3+ parts), but it doesn't make sense to refer to the parts as splits.

Why not?  split(n) is a perfectly reasonable phrase.  And again you are
confusing split(v) with split(n), which is going to cause even more
confusion.

> Why not just use the term 'parts' or 'transaction parts' or even invent a
> new word 'transparts'; (after all, GnuCash is a made up word too.)
> Just because GnuCash developers previously defined the 'parts' of a
> transaction as 'splits' doesn't mean that the definition shouldn't be
> changed to make it clearer.

The data file contains "Splits".  Having different terms in the UI vs the
underlying data is a way to cause irreperable brain damage down the road
when someone not alive today becomes a developer in a couple decades and
tries to mentally map a Foobob to a Split and doesn't understand why the
name was changed.

Not saying we CAN'T do it, but seriously, how many words in the English
language have both a verb and a noun and can mean slightly different
things?  (cheating answer:  many).

Have a good weekend!

> Kind regards,Alan

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745