[GNC] The Meaning of Split (previously Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?)

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 06:11:30 EDT 2019

I'll throw some more confusion I'm afraid. I'd think a Split is somewhat
unique to GnuCash, for better or for worse. I don't think there's an
equivalent word in general usage. If we define Split as a "that which links
Transactions to Accounts" then there's no confusion here.

Technically a Transaction can have 1 Split - in an account register, input
a date, description/memo/notes, and leave the rest blank -- presto, a
single-split transaction with no account, no amount or amount = 0, and the
engine will accept it. This single-split transaction will appear in the
Transaction Report, and causes no harm. You can use this for annotating
accounts "01/01/2018 - new year - new tenant moves in - monthly $500 rent
expected". Does any other bookkeeping software allow this?

A 2-Split transaction is the most common transfer involving 2 separate
accounts, and is displayed as a shortcut for newbies.

A 3-Split (or more links 3 accounts or more together), useful for complex
transfers involving taxes withheld, or mortgage/capital/interest
repayments, or complex payroll entries.

I don't think there's a compelling argument to rename 20 years of history...

Thanks for your support, Alan,