[GNC] Example of multi-split feature of CSV importer?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Mar 25 06:18:16 EDT 2019

Op zondag 24 maart 2019 02:47:37 CET schreef David Cousens:
> Patrick,
>
> When the Transaction is opened with the split button, the Description field
> name should change to Memo. There are other changes in the headings as
> described in the documentation (
> https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/trans-multi-enter.html). If
> my understanding is correct, each split of a transaction has its own Memo
> field while the Description field is attached to the transaction which
> consists of 2 or more splits. The same description should also come up if
> you open the transaction in another register that there is a split to.  You
> can enter different information in the Memo field if you wish.
>
> I think the importer matches on the Description field for the transaction by
> tokenizing its content and matching to the tokenized forms of the
> description field of existing transactions which is weighted along with the
> matching of amounts, dates, etc. I don't think the Memo field is involved
> in matching AFAIK but I haven't checked the code out to see. Geert may be
> able to comment on that as he is more familiar with the code than I am.
>
> I think you can specify the Memo field in the multisplit format as well as
> the Description field. I am away from home at the moment so I can't check
> for sure.
>
> David

That explains it very well indeed.

In short: transactions have a description, splits have a memo. If you want each individual split to
have some descriptive information, you can add this in the memo field (which is also supported
by the importer). If you want the whole transaction to have some descriptive information, you
can add this in the transaction's description field.

And as David says, the csv importer will use the description field (and all other transaction
related fields) to determine transaction boundaries. As the memo fields is a related to splits its
contents will not affect this boundary detection.

Geert