[GNC] Investment account import

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 11:51:58 EDT 2019

My hierarchy is rather deep; my investment (commodity) accounts are down several levels. Assets:Investments:Taxable:David:Schwab:AAPL for example. Another example might be Assets:Investments:Untaxed:David:IRA:Regular IRA:Schwab:AAPL

This means that my accounts will show separate holdings of Apple--one in each account. There is no way I have found to track on the one hand the holdings in each account while in the other aggregating all the different account holdings, as presented here.

For what it's worth, you may find it helpful to create _income_ accounts that match your different Schwab accounts--that is, (in my case) Income:Dividends:Taxable:David:Schwab. I adopted this some years back, matching the tax statements I received. Dividends are entered into the parent account, identified by the ticker symbol, e.g, "AAPL dividend" balanced against this generic income account. This does not allow you to track individual stock performance, but it does simplify tax prep.

Best,
David